Eldergrow offers a therapeutic connection through innovative classes and services, bringing nature indoors for seniors living in dementia care and skilled nursing facilities. We are currently looking to partner with a friendly, extroverted individual to teach in Fall City (22041), Alexandria (22311) - and surrounding area.
QR Code Link to This Post
This a very gratifying and fun experience as you will engage residents in meaningful ways. Must be friendly, outgoing, and comfortable around elders who have cognitive and physical needs. Learn more about what its like to work with Eldergrow at http://www.eldergrow.org/jobs.php and see what the press is saying about our impact at http://www.eldergrow.org/press.php.
This role is largely about being a conversationalist and making a connection with our elders, while building relationships with the facility staff. As you will be leading/teaching a group, you must be able to carry your voice and be comfortable in front of a group. Strong gardening skills required!
"It is rewarding to see how much the residents enjoy the classes and interacting with each other, and how rewarding it is for them to see their garden grow and evolve."
"This is the most thoughtful, supportive company. There are so many helpful resources, I can't just pick one as a favorite."
An ideal candidate would be within a 30 minute drive of their community and also be interested in helping us to grow Eldergrow in their local markets as well. We provide materials and marketing information that the Educator can use to share Eldergrow with other memory care and skilled nursing communities.
Current Hours & Compensation Information:
This is a contracted opportunity
Approx 12-13 hours per month with potential for growth
Compensation paid by stipend averaging $18 - $20 per hour.
Supportive online video conference call the last Friday of each month from 12:30pm - 1:30pm EST
Lesson Plans and Supplies provided - opportunity for creative modification to best fit resident abilities
Classes are nature focused include gardening, art and culinary
Minimum of a 1 year commitment requested
To be considered, reply to this posting and include your resume along with a personal statement as to why this opportunity interests you and how you meet the qualifications listed below. Thank you.
Qualifications and Skills:
* Experience with Elders who may have both physical and cognitive limitations
* Strong gardening skills required
* Education/Experience in Horticultural Therapy a huge plus!
* Must have access to dependable internet, a computer and printer, as well as experience using email Google Apps such as Google Drive. We require that educators upload photos after every class, so a smart phone is helpful.
* Able to pass a Background check to work with vulnerable populations
* Insured vehicle required - you will drive to communities who have signed up for our service and occasionally pick up gardening supplies.
* Must be able to stand for at least an hour at a time. Able to kneel/bend down to maintain garden. You must be able to push a large, mobile garden on wheels (not lift).