Position: PAID PART-TIME HOSTEL ASSISTANT
QR Code Link to This Post
Locations: U STREET HOSTEL
Application deadline: April 1, 2019 or until positions filled
Under the supervision of the Hostel Manager, hostel assistants will work desk shifts and housekeeping shifts and will assist with hostel programs. Hostel assistants will perform all responsibilities as an integral member of the hostel staff, who will create and sustain an environment characterized by friendliness, cleanliness, and superior customer service.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Welcome and check-in guests; orient guests to hostel facilities, customs, policies; kitchen rules; laundry times and price; and provide information about the local area.
• Follow the hostel’s standard operating procedures for handling cash and credit card transactions, for operating the reservation system, and for tasks required at the open and close of desk shifts.
• Take reservations by phone, e-mail, and the online booking system.
• Assist guests with questions and concerns in a friendly and helpful manner.
• Perform housekeeping, laundry, lawn, cleaning common areas and bathrooms when needed, as well as basic maintenance duties.
• Daily bedsheet changing and room cleaning.
• Maintain safety and security of hostel buildings and grounds.
• Maintain flexibility in work schedule and responsibilities.
• Must have customer service experience.
• Must have excellent communication skills.
• Must be a team player, but capable of working independently.
• Must be diplomatic and sensitive to the concerns of others.
• Have international travel experience, and speak several languages (preferably).
• Must be willing and able to perform multiple tasks of varying nature during a single shift, including housekeeping duties.
• Experience with PCs, Windows OS, and Microsoft office applications.
• Knowledge of and experience performing housekeeping tasks.
• Live-in work experience preferred.
• Social and friendly personality and attitude.
Physical demands and work conditions:
• Regularly required to reach with hands and arms
• Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools and controls
• Regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Regularly required to stand, walk, sit, stoop or crouch; occasionally required to climb or balance
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Starting hourly rate: $13.50 –- Monday through Sunday
Shifts and Weekly hours TBD on a case by case basis
There is a two weeks trial period to determine applicants capabilities and interest to perform his/her duties to the standard required to respond the demands of this position.
Send resume, phone numer and email to our email. In the Subject line indicate the U hostel paid position. In the Email state your availability between April 1, 2019 and Dec. 31, 2019. Do not send employment inquiries or applications to the hostels.