compensation: Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience. employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Muslim Advocates (MA), a national legal advocacy and educational organization, seeks applications from highly talented and motivated attorneys wishing to join our dynamic and growing legal team as a staff attorney. The position will be based in our Washington, DC office, although we are open to remote work for the right candidate.
Muslim Advocates provides expert representation in the courts, the policy making process, and in the public dialogue so that American Muslims and all people can live free from discrimination. We litigate, educate, and advocate to uphold our country’s promise of equal treatment under the law for all Americans — and we get results. We are a big tent organization that recognizes the rich and full diversity of the American Muslim community in race, sex, place of birth, ability, income, education, gender identity, sexual orientation, sect of worship and level of religiosity.
The staff attorney will be involved in litigating cases on these and other issues in pursuit of MA’s mission and priorities. The staff attorney will also actively engage in MA’s broader legal advocacy efforts. The staff attorney will work with a team of attorneys led by our legal director.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Work on all phases and aspects of MA litigation, including case development, client and witness interviews, pleadings, discovery, depositions, motions, trials, appeals, and settlements.
• Use state and federal freedom of information laws to collect information about government programs and practices affecting the civil rights of American Muslims.
• Monitor legal developments and policies that impact the civil rights of American Muslims.
• Collaborate with outside counsel and other legal advocacy organizations on issues affecting American Muslims and on broader social justice issues in the United States.
• Create non-legal advocacy materials in support of education and outreach efforts.
• Speak and otherwise represent Muslim Advocates at community and professional events.
• Other projects related to MA’s legal, policy, and civic education work as they arise.
• J.D. from an accredited university; 3 plus years professional experience preferred.
• Admission in good standing to the bar of any state and/or the District of Columbia.
• Litigation experience in state or federal court preferred.
• Outstanding legal research and writing skills.
• Excellent oral advocacy and communication skills.
• Ability and desire to work cooperatively with coalition partners and diverse constituencies.
• Strong organizational and timemanagement skills; proven ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
• Demonstrated commitment to civil rights and public interest law.
• Willingness to travel as work requires.
Compensation & Benefits
Muslim Advocates offers a generous and competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Muslim Advocates is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should apply by clicking on this link: https://muslimadvocates.applytojob.com/apply/n9bJQRVfdr/Staff-Attorney and attaching the following materials - (1) a cover letter specifying the candidate’s interest in working with Muslim Advocates as well as their skills and relevant experience; (2) a resume; (3) a list of three references; and (4) a legal writing sample.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
For more information about Muslim Advocates, visit: www.muslimadvocates.org.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers