• Reports to: Executive Director
• Expected Compensation Range: $70,000–$80,000 plus benefits
• Location: Washington DC area
• Travel: up to 15% travel
• Application deadline: April 3rd, 2020
The National Caucus of Environmental Legislators (NCEL) seeks its first development manager. NCEL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that organizes a nonpartisan network of over 1,200 state legislators nationwide to advance a pro-environment agenda. The organization has grown significantly over the past five years and is funded primarily by national and regional foundations.
NCEL’s new development manager will lead efforts to identify and cultivate relationships with potential funders, deepen relationships with existing funders, and develop the strategies, systems, and practices to build a more robust, well-rounded fundraising operation. In addition to building relationships with private foundations, they will design and launch the organization’s first individual donor strategy to engage its 1000’s of alumni and current members as financial supporters. They will also work closely with the executive director and development committee to develop comprehensive strategies, involve board members in fundraising, and build durable, reliable internal processes and systems.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned fundraising professional with a track record of cultivating strong relationships, attracting new supporters and/or customers, and developing new initiatives, systems, and processes from the ground up.
Duties and Responsibilities
Fundraising strategies and planning (20%)
• Work with executive director to develop specific fundraising targets
• Create annual fundraising work plan to define and coordinate fundraising efforts across all relevant staff and board members
• In the first year, design strategies, timeline, and plan to launch NCEL’s first individual donor strategy in partnership with executive director and development committee
Fundraising implementation and execution (40%)
• Research and build relationships with targeted private foundations and other funders
• Oversee, manage, and support fundraising efforts of board members and executive director
• Identify prospective donors and cultivate relationships
• Assist with grant proposal and report writing
• Solicit funds to reach fundraising goals
• Ensure proper donor stewardship and engagement
Constituent engagement (20%)
• Develop constituent engagement strategies to engage members and alumni as donors
• Develop and implement strategies, in partnership with communications coordinator, to help new, current, and alumni members feel deeply connected to the NCEL network
Develop and manage fundraising systems and procedure (20%)
• Develop and launch systems, write policies and procedures, create necessary tools and templates, and institute protocols to ensure NCEL adheres to best practices for donor acknowledgment and stewardship
• Minimum of three to five years of fundraising experience
• Experience designing and executing successful fundraising strategies and campaigns
• Strong writing, communication, and public relations skills
• Ability to work at a strategic level and a detailed tactical level
• Experience setting up effective internal fundraising systems, procedures, and operations
• Familiarity with foundation research
• Bachelor’s degree in business or nonprofit administration, communications, marketing, or a related field or equivalent combination of alternate educational and work experience
• Available to travel as required for meetings with partners and prospects
• Demonstrated interest in public policy, government relations, environmental advocacy, stakeholder engagement, and/or politics.
To apply for the development manager position, email the following to Ashley Kellner (akellner at ncel.net)
2. Cover letter
3. Three professional references
4. Professional writing sample (2-pages maximum)
In subject line, write “Last Name, First Name, Development Manager”
Deadline: Applications must be received electronically by 5:00PM eastern on Friday, April 3rd.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers