Why you want to work here...
GRID Alternatives is a national leader in making clean, affordable solar power and solar jobs accessible to low-income communities and communities of color. GRID is an entrepreneurial, high-growth non-profit organization that provides direct solar installation and project development; clean mobility options; workforce training and service learning opportunities; and low-income solar policy advocacy.
Our vision: a transition to clean, renewable energy that includes Everyone.
Based in Oakland, California, GRID has 8 regional offices and affiliates serving all of California, Colorado, Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware; GRID also works in Nicaragua, Mexico and Nepal. GRID has a dedicated staff of 380 and growing!
What it's like at GRID…
At GRID, we care about each other and know that each employee has a whole self that includes life outside of work. Our culture supports learning, growth and well-being of all of our team members. Every member of GRID Alternatives must participate in the organization's equity, inclusion, and diversity (EID) work.
GRID Alternatives provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Because we value EID at GRID Alternatives, we encourage folks from all backgrounds to apply, even if you do not meet all of the preferred qualifications.
Why this is a big deal...
This is an excellent opportunity to learn about the solar industry. Responsible for all aspects of the client application process including outreach, screening, home site visits, educating families about solar, energy efficiency, and the details of our program, walking clients through the application process and assisting them with all related documentation.
- Collaborate with the Outreach Manager to create and implement an outreach strategy to increase number of low-income clients served in targeted areas of DC, Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia
- Assist in creating and maintaining partnerships with affordable housing developers, local government agencies, and community-based organizations in order to more effectively identify, encourage, and serve low-income clients
- Work with GRID Alternatives staff to coordinate site visits, installations and trouble shooting for clients
- Educate homeowners on the benefits of solar, energy efficiency and deliver client training sessions
- Responsible for increasing community awareness and acceptance of GRID
Alternatives’ work and mission, including attending and presenting at community meetings and events
- Organizing volunteers to assist in outreach efforts
What you need to bring to this role…
- Excellent communication skills: ability to meet with partner organizations, speak to groups about GRID Alternatives’ work, educate low-income families about our services, and be a positive GRID Alternatives representative in the community
- Community outreach experience, or sales/marketing experience
- Ability to relate to and respect diverse populations
- Available for occasional weekend and evening work
- Able to travel throughout the mid-Atlantic region including DC, Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia. Applicant must hold a valid driver’s license
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team
- Proficient with computers and MS Office; G-Suite platforms
It would be great if you also had…
- Passion for environmental justice and working with low-income communities, sustainability, affordable housing, and/or the environment
- Experience living and/or working in economically disadvantaged communities and with diverse populations
- Salesforce.com CRM is a plus
- Flexible and willing to embrace change, go the extra mile, and bring ideas and energy to a rapidly growing organization
- Bilingual (English & Spanish)
Where you will sit & the places you may go...
This position may require up to 25% travel throughout the Mid-Atlantic region (Washington D.C., MD, DE & VA). Availability to work nights and weekends may be required.
GRID Alternatives may provide vehicles for work travel and/or travel reimbursement for personal vehicle use, but applicant must hold a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Let's Talk Money
This is a TEMPORARY hourly position.
Ready to Apply?
Submit both a resume and a cover letter describing your interest. Due to the high volume of inquiries, mailed and emailed applications are not accepted. Please do not call and/or email requesting an update.