Local government agency is seeking a Senior Network Engineer for one year. Candidates must be local and available for a face-to-face interview and have perfect communication skills
• This position is an expert level network engineering nature of work and serves as the highest technical escalation point for all data and voice network architectures.
• Candidate must a numbered Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) in either the Routing and Switching or Service Provider discipline who has held this certification for 10 years.
• Candidate must have a Juniper JNCIE and has comprehensive work experience installing, maintaining and troubleshooting Juniper Router platforms and the Junos OS.
• The candidate will be responsible for the daily (24x7x365) engineering, operation and management of all voice and data networks and communication systems
• The candidate will provide expert level technical assistance in completing complex network research, design, planning, engineering, and architecture of LAN/WAN solutions
• The candidate will be responsible for the all agency networks which includes the Avaya PBX/Voice over IP (VoIP) network.
• The candidate will work closely with the IT Network Communication Service (NCS) leadership team, IT Help Desk, IT Operations Center, and other command centers and maintenance teams to ensure that all networks and communication systems are operating in a robust, reliable and secure manner on a 24x7x365 basis.
• Provide expert engineering leadership on all design and standards issues; including analysis, development and implementation, as well as training and mentoring of technologies and standards to less senior engineers.
• Manages, owns, tracks, escalates, communicates and coordinates problem resolution and escalation processes up to problem resolution.
• Develops and carries out strategic, tactical and operational plans including planning for growth and anticipating requirements where possible.
• Analyzes and defines network requirements and configurations, optimization, and support for network servers, routers and switches.
• Provides expert level oversight and analysis of complex network changes and architectural development.
• Prepares operational reports including trouble resolution and analysis, project status, equipment and network requirements/inventories.
• Provides expert level assistance to the Network Monitoring team in terms of network capacity and performance analysis and interpretation of complex statistical network performance data
• Adheres to IT policies and procedures (e.g., ITIL, SDLC, COOP).
• Assures the rigorous application of information security policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of network services.
• Must have an active Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Certification in Routing and Switching or Service Provider. The incumbent must have held this certification for 10 years.
• Must have a Juniper Networks certification at the professional level or higher (i.e. JNCIP). Juniper JNCIE is preferred. The incumbent must have held this certification for at least 5 years.
• Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued from jurisdiction of residence and ability to legally operate a motor vehicle in Maryland, DC and Virginia.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Demonstrated knowledge of, abilities to and/or hands-on experience in:
• Expert level ability and knowledge of LAN Switching technologies including a detailed understanding of all Ethernet standards; Ethernet Layer 1 wiring speed and duplex, RJ-45 pin-outs and CAT6 wiring, CSMA/CD, basic and advanced switch port configuration; VLAN configuration and management including VTP, ISL and 802.1q trunking. Expert level understanding of the spanning tree protocol to include PVST+, MST, RSTP, Portfast, Uplinkfast, Backbonefast, Root guard and BPDU guard.
• Expert level knowledge of IPv4 addressing concepts including IP address structure and subnetting, VLSM subnet allocation, CIDR, private addressing and NAT.
• Expert level knowledge of IPv6 technologies, including a detailed understanding of IPv6 addressing and Address types, IPv6 neighbor discovery, neighbor and router advertisement and neighbor and router solicitation; unicast reverse path forwarding and IPv6 unicast routing protocols.
• Expert level knowledge of IP Services including ARP, Proxy ARP, DHCP; HSRP, VRRP and GLBP, Network Time Protocol (NTP); SNMP; Syslog.
• Expert level knowledge of MPLS technologies, including provisioning MPLS routers via LDP, understanding of the LIB, LFIB as it relates to MPLS provision and path determination, tracking and troubleshooting, MPLS VPN implementation including a detailed understanding of MP-BGP, Route Distinguishers and Route Targets.
• Expert level knowledge of EIGRP routing including configuration of EIGRP routers, authentication, route filtering, offset lists and troubleshooting stuck-in-active routes.
• Expert level knowledge of OSPF routing including a detailed understanding of the OSPF database, configuring neighbors using different network types, the hello process, the OSPF path selection process, configuration of stubby areas, NSSA; configuration of OSPF costs and clearing of the OSPF process; OSPF route filtering, virtual link configurations and OSPF authentication.
• Expert level knowledge of BGP routing including the configuration of iBGP and eBGP peers; BGP message types, neighbor states, injecting routes and prefixes into the BGP table; detailed understanding of BGP attributes; use of route reflectors; understanding of the BGP path selection process.
• Expert level knowledge of QoS technologies including congestion management and avoidance, software queues and Cisco switch hardware queues, CBWFQ and LLQ basic features and configuration, WRED operation, LAN switch congestion Management and avoidance with a particular emphasis on Cisco 3750 series, 6500 series and 7600 series switches; Shaping and policing concepts including shaping and policing terminology and the underlying mechanics of shaping and policing configuration and operation.
• Expert level knowledge of IP Multicast technologies including a detailed understanding of the IP Multicast structure, distribution of IP multicast traffic with IGMP; IGMP v2 and version 3 implementation; IP Multicast routing with particular emphasis on Sparse mode routing protocols.
• Expert level knowledge of Cisco router and switch security concepts, technology and implementation including simple password protection for the CLI, AAA Authentication, Authorization and Accounting; Layer 2 security including Port security, dynamic ARP inspection, DHCP snooping, IP source guard, 802.1x authentication, storm control; Layer 3 security including IP access lists, RPF checks, TCP SYN Flood protections.
• Expert level knowledge of Cisco data center platforms and technologies, including an understanding of the Cisco 7000 and 9000 series switches, NX-OS Software, High Availability and other Nexus technologies.
• Knowledge of Cisco ACI architecture and technology. Experience in ACI a plus.
• Knowledge of and experience with F5 load balancing technologies and platforms.
• Expert level knowledge of Cisco ASR 9000 series routers and IOS XR OS.
• Experience with the design of a hybrid cloud network infrastructure with public and private cloud networking services
• Knowledge of IoT architectures and implementations.
• Experience with industrial "operational technologies" integration to Ethernet and IP, including SCADA systems, HMI interfaces, OT protocols such as
• Good understanding of DNS.
• Proactive and team player with experience as a team lead of high level senior network engineers. Work independently and can represent the Authority on a broad range of data and voice communications architectures to other agencies. Accurate and timely status reporting (written and verbal).
• Expert level ability to configure, manage and troubleshoot multi-protocol network elements throughout the OSI stack to ensure effective end-to-end communications (MPLS, OSPF, BGP, Firewalls, Access list, VPN) internally and externally. Expert level ability to configure, manage, and trouble shoot VOIP and multi-media (video) distributed systems and platforms.
• Comprehensive FCAPS management experience with the following: Circuit management, installation and cabling; problem isolation: Solarwinds and other NMS systems; Support: Operations Center, Help Desk; Cisco Works (and other systems as required); Trouble tickets: Service Center, escalation, assignment groups; resolving outages: scheduled and unscheduled, notification.
• Communicate effectively at all levels.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Data Communications, Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering or related field with ten (10) years of experience in enterprise technology leadership.
• An active Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) Certification in Routing and Switching or Service Provider is required. The incumbent must have held this certification for 10 years.
• An active Juniper certification at the professional level or higher (i.e. JNCIP). Juniper JNCIE is preferred. The incumbent must have held this certification for at least 5 years.
• Understanding of the ITIL operational best practices is preferred. Project management certification (PMI) or 5-8 years of large scale enterprise project management is preferred. Skills in reporting and ability to translate operational requirements into functional descriptions and conduct on-site surveys to determine communications upgrade alternatives.
• Equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience will be considered if candidate can effectively demonstrate progressively responsible and expert level experience in enterprise technology leadership.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers