compensation: Vacation, Holiday, and Sick pay, Medical, Dental. Vision, LTD/STD, Life Insurance, 401K employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Position: Technical Specification Writer
Location: Washington, DC
Unified Industries Incorporated (UII) is seeking qualified Technical Specification Writers to provide Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) administrative engineering and technical work in support of car and car borne equipment maintenance documentation. Candidate is responsible for the preparation of specifications for car maintenance processes and procedures and other related technical documentation required for the effective maintenance and overhaul of car equipment. Candidate will also develop and provide amendments to Authority technical specifications for car equipment procurement and contracting with considerable latitude for independent judgement and action within general guidelines with work supervised by the Overhaul Support and Configuration Management (ODCM).
• Develops, prepares and revises guides and standard specifications for routine maintenance, campaigns and projects to ensure that specifications are technically current, meet industry standards, provide maximum equipment availability and reliability and conform to Authority policies and procedures
• Develops and updates instructional guidelines for preparation of procurement documents. Monitors and reviews specifications and amendments prepared by maintenance and engineering staff to ensure compliance with technical requirements and the Authority's established procedures
• Develops and updates maintenance processes and procedures for complex and corrective maintenance in conjunction with engineering and maintenance requirements, equipment reliability and availability requirements, Authority safety and maintenance practice requirements, and governing regulations.
• Coordinates preparation of all documents with engineering, maintenance, maintenance planning, safety, quality assurance and other appropriate Authority offices to assure inclusion of technical specifications that conform to the needs of the Authority
• Investigates particular special and technical requirements, materials and complex technical references for individual documents and contracts
• Maintains computer records including historical data in a technical library for all documentation prepared
The following list includes but not limited to items that will be working with:
• Support railcar Periodic Inspections (PI) based on input from Car Maintenance (CMNT)
• 7000 Series railcar changes / updates to Running Maintenance Service Manuals (RMSM) from Kawasaki Railcar (KRC) due to Engineering Modification Instructions (EMIs) or Field Modification Instructions (FMIs) procedure changes
• Heavy Repair Maintenance Manuals (HRMM) changes and updates from SUB-SUPPLIERS and CMNT (based on their internal procedure / work flow)
• Illustrated Parts Catalog (IPC) updates / changes as required EMIs and CMNT to include additional parts needed and illustration modifications
• 6000 Series railcar Scheduled Maintenance Documents (SMDs) updates / changes needed via Engineering Requests (ERs) and/or EMIs
• Future work to include 8000 Series railcar manuals
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
• Graduation from an accredited college or university with a B.S. Degree in Technical Writing, Engineering or Engineering Technology or a related field and at least five (5) years of responsible experience in the preparation and writing of technical specifications.
• Or, an equivalent combination of post-secondary education in Technical Writing, Engineering or Engineering Technology or a related field and eight (8) years’ experience in the preparation and writing of technical specifications.
• Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this job, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position for this job either with or without reasonable accommodations
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of car and car borne equipment maintenance requirements and activities with the ability to apply same to appropriate car maintenance process, procedure and procurement specification development
• Knowledge of maintenance process optimization, with experience in logistics, methods, sequencing, material handling and process improvement initiatives to enhance productivity
• Knowledge of design and electrical drawings, with the ability to electronically reproduce same for maintenance and procurement documentation
• Experience in complex technical writing, (e.g., maintenance procedures, engineering specifications, material standards, and procurement documents) Ability to prepare process flow charts
• Ability to understand and translate technical engineering instructions, original equipment standards, regulatory requirements, test data/results and various other highly technical information into written documents to prescribe maintenance instructions and/or procurement requirements
• Skill in analyzing specifications prepared by others to ensure compliance with maintenance, engineering and/or contractual needs of the Authority
• Skill in completing and amending specifications from contract drawings and documents that present the contractual, administrative, and technical requirements for contractual work, campaigns, and or projects
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and to interact with others in a customer-oriented, business-like manner
• Ability to use Authority technical enterprise systems, PC word processing, spreadsheet, project management, presentation, database software, and CAD systems Knowledge of technical documentation management information systems
• Proficient in grammar and punctuation with the ability to communicate effectively
How to Apply
To be considered for these positions, please email your detailed resume outlining qualifications, experience and availability. These positions are an immediate need that will be filled quickly.
UII is a minority owned certified small business providing services to government and commercial industries. UII’s expertise encompasses Logistics, Training Development and Delivery, Information Technology, Metrology & Calibration, Consulting, and Quality Assurance services. UII is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to supporting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce. Further information on UII can be found at our website. http://www.uii.com/
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers