compensation: 18.50 employment type: part-time telecommuting ok
QR Code Link to This Post
Equivity is looking for a part-time virtual paralegal with recent experience supporting attorneys in an intellectual property law practice who is available to support clients in both Central and Eastern time zones. We are looking for paralegals with at least three years of experience in intellectual property law, including experience preparing and filing trademark applications with the USPTO. The ideal candidate will also have additional experience in other areas of IP law, including patent prosecution, IP licensing, and IP litigation. Experience in supporting other practices, such as practices focusing on corporate law and/or contracts, would be a plus. If you have experience supporting a diverse array of transactional practices and have previously assisted attorneys remotely, we want to hear from you!
Virtual paralegals at Equivity develop a portfolio of clients and support a number of different attorneys. We are currently seeking a virtual paralegal to support attorneys in intellectual property and/or transactional law practices, working on tasks such as the following:
• Conducting trademark searches
• Preparing and filing trademark applications with USPTO
• Responding to office actions from USPTO
Additional areas of assistance would be:
• Assisting in patent prosecution, including filing applications, helping prepare responses to office actions, and filing other papers with the patent office
• Drafting and managing patent licenses
• Registering copyrights
• Managing IP dockets to ensure that filing deadlines are met and fees are paid
The ideal candidate will have experience conducting trademark searches and using practice management software, such as Clio or MyCase. You should also be proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel; editing and building PDFs; and comfortable using Google Calendar, Google Docs and Google Sheets as well. Experience with TMView is a plus.
More about our company:
Equivity provides virtual assistance to clients across the United States, with specialties in administrative, marketing, and paralegal support services. Equivity works closely with our clients to provide them with virtual paralegals who are experienced in their field and have successfully worked in a remote or virtual environment. Our law firm clients range from solo practitioners to multi-partner firms and run across all specialty areas of law including litigation, intellectual property, family law, bankruptcy, real estate, and much more.
Our virtual paralegals work with a high degree of autonomy and are responsible for developing relationships with our clients. Because we provide extremely attentive service to our clients, you must be available to respond to client communications during business hours within one hour by email, phone, and text and be available to work on projects during the business day. All of this work is done remotely, meaning that you can work from home.
The selected candidate would be hired as a part-time employee of Equivity, not an independent contractor. We are looking for somebody who has at least 20 hours per week of availability, and the starting pay is $18.50 per hour. We are a growing business and are looking for a virtual paralegal who is excited to partner with us and is interested in a long-term role with our company.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 3+ years of recent experience working as a paralegal supporting IP practices, including trademark practices
• Experience running trademark searches
• Experience with trademark prosecution, including filing trademark applications and responding to office actions
• Additional experience in patent prosecution, patent litigation, and/or licensing
• Excellent writing skills and strong attention to detail
• Experience with engagement letters, client invoicing, correspondence, document review and preparation
• Experience drafting from templates as well as from software that provides electronic forms
• Experience using practice management software, preferably Clio, PC Law, or Serengeti
• Availability to respond to requests within an hour during the hours of 9 AM - 6 PM, Monday – Friday Eastern and Central time
• Experience using law firm bookkeeping software for invoicing and timekeeping
• Experience with TMView is a plus
• Your own laptop and smart phone with broadband access to Internet
• Quiet location in which to make and take phone calls
Qualities we are looking for:
• Attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work independently with limited oversight
• Technologically savvy
Equivity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Equivity is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Equivity are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national original, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender orientation, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Equivity will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.