condition: good cylinders: 4 cylinders drive: rwd fuel: gas odometer: 75080 paint color: black title status: clean transmission: manual
QR Code Link to This Post
Update 8/14 - Price lowered.
Update 6/26 - Webber DGV Carb rebuilt
Update 6/19 - Trades considered for car. Not looking for motorcycles or boats. 90's imports, pickups, Jeeps, dump bed pickups, etc would be what I'm looking for.
Just installed new battery today. Car fired up after setting all winter. Added pics of bottom of the car to show/prove lack of rust. This is a good solid car with a lot of work done to it!! Lowered price..let's find it a new home. Open to offers!!
I think one of the best ways to describe this car is it that its almost like a barn find. I have known this car for around 25 years as it was my best friend's father's car during high school and it was garaged kept during that time (mid 90's). After high school my father bought the car and performed some of the modifications on it now while he kept it either in the garage or covered outside. He moved to a bigger house and the car got pushed aside, but not after it was put into storage in his new garage for over 5 years. When he started to be able to work on it again it got to a point that he couldnt enjoy the car as it was difficult for both he and my mom to get in and out of it, so we moved it to my house and put in my garage for sale. The car fired right up and drove with no issues at all to my house (about 65 miles). Once I got it in my shop I adjusted the Webber carbs and the idle before driving it to a friend's shop in Fairfax for a VA safety inspection, which was the first time I had driven the car since I was a kid. With the carb being tuned I can say that there were no problems on Rt. 66 from Gainesville to Fairfax and back and the car had plenty of power - especially when the Webber secondary kicks in!
After not seeing the light of day for 5 years all the car needed to pass VA Safety inspection was new windshield wipers, which were installed at the shop. Even the tech mentioned that the car looked good on the bottom when he had it up on the ramp, for those of you who may be worried about additional rust issues. It looks as though this is one of the few MG's that was actually undercoated by the dealership, or shortly afterwards. The underside of this car is amazingly clean and free of rust!! I have added a few pictures of the underside for those who need a visual confirmation.
The top is in good shape for its age but could stand to be replaced with the new one that will come with the car. The original tonneau cover that covers the complete interior with the zip out openings for each seat is included, as well as the cover that goes over the convertible top when its closed. Convertible top frame is in great shape.
Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Webber DGV Carburetor upgrade with new high flow intake manifold. Multiple original carbs coming with the car
- The engine in the car now was rebuilt and is connected to a 4 speed transmission
- New electronic distributor
- Fiero seat conversion with new leather and heated seat inserts. Speakers installed in headrest but not hooked up
- New wood steering wheel
- Most of the suspension was rebuilt during its brief restoration/freshen up to include poly bushings, shocks, Eibach springs, etc.
- New brake master cylinder. Brakes at all 4 corners rebuilt with new parts.
- New tires and rims (Panasport Style) are currently on the car. The stock rims are here (with tires already removed from rims!!) and will go with the new owner and includes the original full size spare and matching rim.
- Carpet is new and complete, including new floor mats
- New high flow header and complete cat back exhaust. Header has been wrapped with fiberglass insulation to reduce heat in engine bay
- Car comes with original engine (numbers matching) and transmission which has the electric overdirve. Was told engine is good, but it has been setting for about 20 years at this point. May be a good contender for a rebuild/punch out for more power if your going the stock look route. As for the transmission, the Syncros need to be replaced.
- Many new and spare parts will come with the car - a partial list includes the following:
o New convertible top
o Rust repair panels for the 2 spots shown in the pictures. A paint/body shop should be able to put these in and paint the car and add a new MGB side sticker set covering the paint blend instead of painting the whole car. I haven't done it because I didn't know if the new owner would want to repaint the car the same color or do modifications during restoration.
o Wiring kit to convert the original Lucas wiring system to a new blade fuse style setup
o Halogen headlight upgrade kit (not installed yet)
o New window seals and gaskets (not installed yet)
o Gaskets, poly bushings, distributor, manuals, records, etc. I have a bunch of new and replacement parts in my dining room taking up space - Essentially to much stuff to list here.
I think the price is fair with the market research Ive done when compared to others currently on the market as well as the low miles, low rust, amount of new and spare parts, and work that has been done to the car. As it stands now, between the car, new parts (either on the car that have never been used, or new parts waiting to be installed) and the work done to it, there is a solid $11-13K in the car as its sets now. That being said I know that most of that money cannot come back, and this is a specialist car for a specialist buyer so I'm willing to listen to offers and will be willing to show the car to any interested buyer but I am not interested in low ball offers. This is a running car that would make a perfect entry level low dollar project car for the right person as parts are cheap and the aftermarket/fan base is huge.
I'm available weeknights after 6 and weekends pretty much any time and during the day during the week if we can plan it out enough in advance (normally Wednesdays). Car is currently in my garage so rain or shine it can be looked at reviewed in comfort! Feel free to contact me via the Craiglist email exchange - it goes straight to my phone so I will get it rather quickly. I have the title in hand, and its ready to go to her new owner!
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers