The Certification Test Developer assists NICET in the development and maintenance of fair, valid, reliable and legally defensible certification programs. The ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment, managing multiple projects with competing deadlines is essential.
Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Science, Management, Communications, or other related specialty with course work in technical writing and 2 years of work experience in educational and/or certification test development or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience in proofing and editing.
Experience in working with technical concepts and language.
Experience in working with committees and volunteers.
1. Strong organizational skills to work effectively in a team setting and independently on concurrent processes
and projects to meet established goals, deadlines, and quality standards.
2. Excellent ability to write, analyze, and edit technical test questions and other materials for clarity, cognitive
level, and appropriateness of technical content.
3. Basic understanding of standard testing industry principles and basic statistical concepts to test and item
development and maintenance.
4. Strong spelling and proofreading skills, with excellent attention to detail.
5. Strong ability to utilize relevant information in style guides and technical resource materials.
6. Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to write collateral program materials for
print and web, and the ability to make effective presentations to stakeholder groups.
7. Strong interpersonal skills to work effectively with staff, volunteers, and stakeholders to accomplish NICET
goals and objectives.
8. Solid computer software skills, including database, internet, email, word processing, item authoring and
9. Ability to travel occasionally.
Demonstrating competencies previously provided and employing applicable established Standard Operating Procedures to:
1. Work within the program development team to develop new certification programs and maintain existing
2. Monitor the progress of assigned test development and maintenance projects, ensure that all procedures have
been followed, and that NICET standards and specifications have been met.
3. Work within the program development team to recruit and coordinate teams of subject matter experts
4. Manage teams of SMEs to develop new certification examinations and maintain existing examinations.
Facilitate meetings, monitor progress, and prepare meeting agendas and reports as needed.
5. Work within the program development team to plan and prepare for workshops.
6. Manage item writing workshops and item review sessions with SMEs and NICET staff, ensuring that SMEs
are properly trained.
7. Conduct editing of test items, and work within the program development team to ensure that the item-editing
process is completed in a timely manner, that content fits and fulfills approved test specifications, and that
form and structure is consistent with psychometric standards, NICET standards, and American English
standards of grammar and spelling.
8. Manage item review and approval sessions with SMEs.
9. Coordinate the identification, approval, and listing of reference/resource materials.
10. Monitor test bank status, perform quality control and update gap analyses.
11. Consult SMEs, standards, and candidate feedback to identify reasons for poor test item performance.
12. Assemble test forms to meet test specifications.
13. Conduct standard setting workshops, prepare and finalize study reports with psychometric consultant.
14. Use item and test statistics, along with the concepts of reliability and validity, and work with
psychometrician(s) to analyze the performance of items and tests.
15. Publish tests and work within the program development team to resolve test QA issues.
16. Prepare NICET’s database for test publication and perform/verify necessary data entry.
17. Assist with the coordination of test launch schedules and activities with test delivery organization, NICET’s
database vendor, and NICET staff.
18. Maintain appropriate and accurate records of all test development and maintenance activities.
19. Prepare written materials as needed in support of NICET marketing and other related functions.
20. Maintain the security of confidential test, candidate, and vendor information.
21. Make informational presentations to groups of stakeholders.
22. Provide guidance to NICET staff and SMEs on the development and maintenance of practice tests.
23. Work with SMEs on the development and maintenance of practice tests.
24. Perform other duties as assigned.
Please provide a cover letter and salary expectations upon submitting your resume.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers