Unix Systems Admin (with Banking/Financial Experience) (Fairfax, VA)
compensation: $89,000 - $111,000/yr. with solid benefits, based on your level of experience. employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
We’re looking for a Unix Systems Administrator. We are really looking for a Systems Admin with about 3+ years experience, and preferably someone who has worked with Symitar Episys (or similar systems) in the past. Our client is a Federal Credit Union that provides typical banking solutions for consumers/members all over the greater Washington DC area. They are considered one of the best places to work in the Washington DC area. They earn trust from customers/members by:
• Providing personal, caring service
• Delivering competitive financial solutions
• Acting in the best interest of members
• Positively impacting the communities they serve.
Under general supervision, but following established policies and procedures, he/she is responsible for ensuring proper system operations so that the credit union can accomplish daily business tasks. This includes receiving, identifying, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end-user requests that associate the core system of the credit union; managing the core system and its associated systems and applications, including all systems & processes that actively communicate with our core system. Provide recommendations and solutions to better improve the existing system operation, workflow, process, and procedure; and performing routine tasks necessary to maintain sustainability of the core operations. Performs other duties as assigned by the Core Operations Manager & AVP of Business Technology.
Core System Administration
• Manages and supports the core systems that include administrative tasks such as monitoring system and database performance, disk and memory usage, log, and database assignments; identifies and documents potential issues, prepares necessary corrective and preventative action plans.
• Responsible for annual upgrades and patching on additional related core systems including but not limited to Episys core system, Silverlake core system, JHA Xperience, Synergy ECM, Synapsys CRM, OpConXPS automation system, ImageCenter by ProfitStars, Correio by Cutek, Wycom check processing, Fedline Command, and other systems as required.
• Initiates, plans, coordinates, executes and documents routine tasks such as patch upgrades, data purges, data archival, backup and restorations.
• Collaborates with analysts, application developers, and system owners in the testing of new program, application, and interoperability of applications.
• Works with other departments and selected vendors as necessary to ensure smooth transition in every deployment and upgrade for the core systems and other correlated applications.
• Works closely with team members to cross-train & mentor peers on core systems administration in order to improve team knowledge, effectiveness, and to improve redundancy in operations.
• Provides end-user support for all core system applications in conjunction with the Service Desk to ensure that core systems and applications are operating optimally with minimal errors. Responds to tickets, issues, and defects swiftly within established SLAs to ensure service standards are met.
• Visits primary colocation data center and all secondary & tertiary sites where core banking applications are operating to provide hardware and software support as required.
• Assists the department in the arena of production system Change Management and Control. Submits, plans, collaborates on, and completes change requests as required to administer core systems.
• Performs a routine checkup on lights-out operations; analyzes, diagnoses, and resolves errors, malfunctions and mis-configurations to maintain quality of services, to enhance capabilities, and to prevent system outages.
• Participates in on-call, after-hours support on a rotational basis using a company-supplied phone.
• Provides tier-2 & tier-3 support to other financial sub-systems as needed.
UNIX / Linux System Administration
• Responsible for overseeing & maintaining all related core system hardware, including IBM pSeries system infrastructure, Lenovo x3650 / Linux transaction log vaulting systems, along with related Windows servers that integrate with core systems.
• Administer & support other financial systems such as reporting systems, logging systems, vaulting systems, and check print service devices, etc.
• Develops, tests, and implements automated scripting solutions to manage UNIX and Linux-based systems. Performs retention, clean-up tasks, and other automated tasks as needed.
• Perform micro-code firmware analysis, firmware updates, AIX & Linux patching, AIX upgrades, and other system administration tasks in support of our core banking platform and environments, both physical & virtual.
• Researches, recommends, applies, and utilizes software tools and peripherals to monitor production outputs, reports, and files to ensure optimal performance and uphold quality & security standards.
• Assists in development and drafting of operating instruction documents and data analysis methodologies for use by other personnel. Updates documentation repository, wiki, and knowledgebase with current process documentation & operational procedures on an ongoing basis.
• Provides functional backup to the Core Operations Manager in the arena of financial application support and procedures, engineering, scheduled operations and affiliated tasks.
• Remains cognizant of and adheres to credit union policies and procedures, and regulations pertaining to the Bank Secrecy Act.
• Performs other core system administration duties as assigned.
• B.S. degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field with a minimum of 3-years of IT experience. Financial institution experience is highly desired.
• Requirements include either a minimum 2-years of hands-on experience administering Episys core system & OpConXPS automation system or related job automation system; OR, 2-3 years of hands-on experience with UNIX/AIX/Linux system administration in an enterprise environment.
• Familiarity with UNIX/AIX-based systems and data processing operations is required.
• Basic programming knowledge especially PowerOn programming experience is preferred.
• Ability to complete assigned projects on time with minimal assistance from other team members is required.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and complete tasks in a high-pressure environment is required.
• Occasional travel may be required.
This is a full-time employee position with our client. You will not be required to be on-site, although they would prefer someone who is in the United States, and within one or two time zones.
The Salary for the position will be from $89,000 - $111,000/yr. with solid benefits, based on your level of experience.
If this sounds like you, please respond with your salary requirements as soon as possible.
Please no agencies.
This client, and the associated team are all located in Fairfax VA (Washington DC metropolitan area), and we are looking for candidates that are either local to the general area, or in the same time zone, and would be willing to travel to the office occasionally in the future. Please do not apply if you do not want to travel occasionally (on average once per quarter) to be on-site in Virginia.
AAJ Interactive Technologies, established in 1997 by cutting-edge technology executives, is a technology professional-services company supplying project-based consulting, staff augmentation and recruiting services to leading firms throughout Metropolitan Washington, DC area.
We work differently from most of our competition. We have been in both a position of hiring, mentoring and managing large staffs inside a corporate culture, as well as consultants for hire. This unique perspective allows us to understand both sides of this business. We take the time to ensure our consultants/candidates placed will be successful.
We believe that because of our principals we have succeeded where others have failed. The recruiting/technology space can be full of companies that are not really looking out for your interests – ask around … we’re not one of them! We want you to succeed, and we’ll do everything we can to help you do just that!
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers