compensation: $32,000/year; increases to $35,000/year after successful completion of training employment type: full-time non-profit organization
QR Code Link to This Post
Live Voice Writers connect the hard of hearing and deaf to the world around us, which is especially crucial now.
Voice Writers use voice recognition technology to create broadcast-quality closed captioning for a variety of media outlets. Voice Writers come from a wide variety of backgrounds, but the main things we have in common are that we 1) speak English with a native proficiency, 2) type quickly, and 3) have a knack for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
More importantly, we firmly believe that televised and web-based news, sports, information, and entertainment play an important part in how our society functions, and thus, should be accessible to everyone.
National Captioning Institute (NCI) continues to seek bright, motivated, and reliable individuals to provide closed captioning services for a variety of media outlets. NCI is actively hiring Voice Writers to start training as soon as possible!
WHAT WE CAN DO FOR YOU: NCI will pay for your training as a live voice writer, as we want you to make a living while you learn how to meet our high standards. You will start out earning $32,000 per year with benefits; once you complete training and pass a series of accuracy tests, your yearly salary will increase to $35,000 per year, with plenty of opportunity to work extra hours and earn overtime pay.
BUT THAT’S NOT ALL: NCI gives raises to voice writers who meet higher standards and are able to caption more challenging programs. We typically promote management from within the company, and as we expand, we seek out smart, motivated voice writers to move into administrative positions.
IN A NUTSHELL: Do you love language and television? Are you punctual and can you punctuate? If the answer to these questions is yes, we invite you to learn more about exploring employment opportunities at NCI!
NCI is a mission-oriented nonprofit that has been around for 40 years. We set the standard for excellence in the closed captioning industry, and we continue to spearhead changes that will improve the viewer experience for consumers of closed captioning.
Voice writers will initially work in our Chantilly, VA, office, with a possibility of working from home after six (6) months to a year, depending on progress.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis after successful completion of pre-employment assessments, so please consider applying today. We would love to hear from you! To apply, submit a resume and cover letter.
• An undergraduate degree in (but not limited to) Communications, English, or another liberal arts discipline OR Associate's degree plus one year of related experience OR completion of training program in court reporting or captioning OR high school diploma plus three years of related work experience.
• Interest in providing media access to millions of closed captioning users.
• Ability to read, write, and speak English with a native proficiency.
• Clear speaking voice and excellent enunciation skills.
• Ability to make quick judgments and work under deadlines.
• Proficiency in PC-based computer applications, with strong multitasking and troubleshooting skills.
• Ability to follow written directions.
• Quick and accurate research abilities.
• Readiness to work independently, with limited supervision.
• Willingness to work a non-traditional schedule.
• Willingness to work overtime, holidays, or as needed according to broadcast schedules.
The National Captioning Institute offers:
• A friendly, casual work environment.
• A structured paid training program.
• Paid Leave/Vacation.
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
• The opportunity to provide a valuable service.
• Job Type: Full-time
• Salary: $32,000.00 /year to start; $35,000/year after successful completion of training and on-air assessments. There are other opportunities to earn additional money, including overtime.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities